Friday, August 24, 2012

Grow


Here is typically how the Lord helps me with my blog posts. He gives me a word... sometimes a sentence or subject. But many times it is simply a word. After letting the word settle on my heart for a bit and praying about it I begin to type. 

Today as I was thinking about blogging all I kept hearing was "grow".... 

Many times I begin with a Bible search for the subject. Today I begin with Google. 

GROW
verb (used without an object)

  1. to increase by natural development, as any living organism or part by assimilation of nutriment; increase in size or substance.
  2. to form and increase in size by a process of inorganic accretion, as by crystallization. 
  3. to arise or issue as a natural development from an original happening, circumstance, or source: Our friendship grew from common interests.
  4. to increase gradually in size, amount, etc.; become greater or larger; expand; His influence has grown.
  5. to become gradually attached or united by or as if by growth. 
As a side note I find it interesting that I didn't hear the word "growth" which happens to be a noun. hmmm... something to ponder. A verb is an action, pretty sure that means I'm not supposed to just sit back and let growth happen... I must have a part in growing. I must have to DO something!

Out of the dictionary definition above there are a few points that stand out to me.
  • "to increase by natural development"... what is natural development and does this vary from one person to the next? 
  • "to increase in substance" Substance is defined as "that of which a thing consists... What do I consist of?
  • "to become gradually attached or united"... to what am I attached or united to?
 Now on to the next step in my blogging adventure... The Bible. Subject search "grow"
 
 A few key verses that include our word of the day:
 
The seed will grow well, the vine will yield its fruit, the ground will produce its crops, and the heavens will drop their dew. I will give all these things as an inheritance to the remnant of this people. -Zechariah 8:12

So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. -1 Corinthians 3:7

Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. -Ephesians 4:15

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen. -2 Peter 3:18
 
Of all the verses I looked up... and there were a LOT of grow, grown and it became apparent to me that despite thinking I can... I can't grow alone. We need some help on this one. Just like a farmer needs to water his crops to make them grow I also need to be watered. Many times the Word is known as water. It feeds you, it washes you clean, it provides the essential element to growth. Show me a person that is growing in Christ and I will show you somebody who is IN the Word. Pick it up, read it, read. it. s-l-o-w-l-y., let every word soak into your soil oops, I mean soul. 




No comments:

Post a Comment