Sunday, February 28, 2010

Do you mind? I'm trying to listen...

Have you ever sat in church, very intently listening to the pastor and realize you aren't listening to God?

This was what happened to me on Sunday. Great service, I was getting a LOT out of it, taking notes like crazy when all of a sudden I felt a gentle whisper. I shrugged it off, after all I was trying to listen to the message. So I listened to the pastor a little closer... and the gentle whisper became slightly louder. So finally I got the hint and listened... (remember, listening and not arguing this year).




WHAT?! Why in the world would God be telling me that? God, creator of the universe, knows my deepest darkest parts of my heart... He knows that asking me to do THAT may just be impossible (at least in my humble human mind). Seriously God, can't I go to Africa or feed starving children?

So as I cried my way through the rest of an incredible service, more upset over how in the world I'm going to manage to do what I have been told to do than the actual service, I began to pray... Then I remember... God's promises...


Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21


and for the whisper in my ear...

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen slow to speak and slow to become angry, for a man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
James 1:19-20


Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Romans 12:14


But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great and you will be sons of the Most High, because He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
Luke 6:27-28



1 comment:

  1. Wow Kelly! I'm so moved by this post! I wish I wouldn't have missed the service :( I will for sure be watching it online! I know you can do this! I'm here for you!

    Di

    ReplyDelete