Wednesday, September 16, 2015

From 30,000 feet

I'm going to let my friends in on a little something from 30,000 feet. Quite literally, somewhere between Orlando and Chicago. 


Confession time... It has occurred to me that not only do I not like flying. It actually terrifies me. Normally I fly with my husband and I force him to stay awake long enough to hold my hand through takeoff to which he replies when we barely begin to level out "Can I go to sleep now?". This time however I am flying alone. Every turbulent bump sends my heart racing. This is it, this is the one that is going to send us plummeting to the earth. Every time the plane banks to one side or the other I want to scream at the pilot for his dare devil antics. "If you want to be a stunt pilot you should have joined the military where you can do it without 200 people on board" oh wait, you are just turning the plane towards our destination?! Sigh. Don't even get me started on that red thing on the wing that trembles the whole flight like it is about to fall off or the wings that look like they are going to snap at any second. 

I don't understand the engineering of it all. This thing weighs God only knows how much, plus you add the weight of passengers and all of their junk? I don't know how it ever gets off the ground. Which is why I question the ability to stay off the ground. 

How I wish I could go back to the child-like wonder of flying. Kids aren't afraid. They have faith that it will get there and they will soon be chasing Mickey Mouse or hugging grandma. They don't think about the wings snapping off or engine failure from hitting a bird (that actually happens you know!). 

I've always thought I love traveling, the truth of the matter is that I enjoy the destination. The adventure of exploring somewhere new. 

It's kind of like life I suppose. Some of the best destinations come after a season of fear and struggle. So as I tremble in my seat at 30,000 feet, my husband reminded me (through a Facebook message, thank you Jesus for on-board wifi) "fear not, I am with you.... God" May be easier said than done, but I will try. One thing is for sure, I will enjoy the destination. If you are trembling in your seat, afraid of the "what if's" be encouraged, your destination is coming. 


 ‘You’re my servant, serving on my side. I’ve picked you. I haven’t dropped you.’ Don’t panic. I’m with you. There’s no need to fear for I’m your God. I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you. I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.”
Isaiah 41:9-10 MSG


No comments:

Post a Comment